What is Considered a Boutique Hotel?
Boutique hotels are attractive options for city breakers, travellers and tourists as they offer a more individualised and unique experience than budget or chain hotels.
However, what exactly is a boutique hotel and how does it differ from a normal hotel?
This short article looks into all the benefits that boutique hotels offer its guests and answers the commonly asked question of “what is a boutique hotel?”.
What is a boutique hotel Vs hotel?
A boutique hotel is a small, independent, luxury hotel that typically offers unique decor and a personalized experience.
These hotels are often housed in historic or noteworthy buildings and often have fewer rooms than larger hotels, allowing for a more intimate and personalized stay. Boutique hotels also tend to have a strong focus on providing excellent service and high-quality amenities to their guests.
Some key characteristics that set boutique hotels apart from traditional hotels include:
- Their smaller, more intimate size
- Higher levels of personalized service
- Distinctive decor and design.
- Included amenities, such as restaurants, bars, terrace areas and even sometimes spas or gyms
- Housed in historical or unique buildings
What makes a boutique hotel special?
There are several factors that contribute to the special atmosphere that is normally found at a boutique hotel.
Unlike chain hotels or budget hotels, boutique hotels tend to stand out from the crowd. They are not simply the same across cities and locations, but they are individual, independently run and usually have a rich history that is complimented by the building the hotel is housed in.
Some of the key characteristics that set boutique hotels apart from traditional hotels include:
- Intimate size: Boutique hotels are typically smaller in size than traditional hotels, with fewer rooms. This smaller size allows for a more intimate and personalized experience for guests.
- Personalised service: Because of their smaller size, boutique hotels are able to offer more personalized service to their guests. This can include things like custom recommendations for activities and dining, a more open and friendly dialogue between customers and staff, as well as personalised attention from the hotel staff.
- Distinctive decor and design: Boutique hotels are known for their unique and often quirky decor, which helps to create a one-of-a-kind atmosphere.
- Variety of room types: On-top of their unusual décor, boutique hotels usually have a wider variety of room types that arrive in different shapes and sizes, compared to standard hotels which tend to only have 1 or 2 room types that all follow the same layout and design.
- High-quality amenities: Boutique hotels tend to have excellent amenities, including comfortable bedding, top-notch restaurants, social areas to relax in and a range of other amenities depending on the individual hotel, such as spas and gyms.
- Special touches: Boutique hotels often go above and beyond to provide special touches and experiences for their guests, such as gift baskets, complimentary toiletries, local guides and personalised itineraries.
Overall, boutique hotels offer a more personal and unique experience that you won’t find at a traditional or budget chain hotel.
If you’d like to discover what it’s like to stay at a fantastic boutqiue hotel in Edinburgh, then get in touch with our friendly team today.
Are boutique hotels more expensive than normal hotels?
Boutique hotels can be more expensive than traditional hotels, especially if they are located in a popular tourist destination or offer a high level of luxury but this is not always the case.
Many boutique hotels offer very competitive rates and have a lot more bang for their buck compared to well-established brands. As boutique hotels don’t have the name value or international popularity of many large chain hotels, it’s important for them to offer fair prices and provide an excellent service to ensure their customers are satisfied and share their positive experiences with others
Here at Black Ivy, we offer a range of cost-effective room rates to suit a variety of budgets. Whether you’re a solo traveler looking for a comfortable short-term stay in Edinburgh or a couple eager for a romantic getaway that doesn’t break the bank, we have the room type to suit you.
Some of our most popular room types are:
- Park View Double: A beautiful room that offers unobstructed park views and a comfortable kingsized bed.
- The Crash Pad: Snug rooms with a comfortable double bed, ideal for solo travellers or those on a tight budget
- Deluxe Doubles: Spacious, peaceful and comfortable, this room is a top-seller for couples looking to enjoy a Edinburgh getaway
Keep in mind that while boutique hotels may have a higher price tag, they often offer a more personalized and luxurious experience that can be worth the extra cost, especially if you’re looking to treat yourself whilst exploring a new city or country.
Black Ivy often has special offers and discounts, so be sure to check these out when booking your next stay at a boutique hotel in Scotland.
Staying in a boutique hotel in Edinburgh
So now that you understand what a boutique hotel is and how it differs from a normal hotel, it’s time to book your stay in one of the best boutique hotels in Edinburgh.
Edinburgh is a fantastic city for a short break or getaway. Small enough that you can explore a lot of the city in a few short days yet at the same time it is packed full of culture, history, fun activities and lively nightlife.
Black Ivy’s boutique hotel in Edinburgh has a range of additional benefits and luxuries, including:
- A full and varied breakfast and brunch menu that is served all day (until 5pm) and can be delivered direct to your room
- A lively bar area and outdoor terrace that stays open and serving drinks until 1am!
- Private dining options for those wishing to celebrate a special occasion such as a birthday, anniversary or personal celebration
- Quality food served throughout the day, from 8am through until 10pm!
- A prime location set in a charming old building, located in the trendy area of Bruntsfield, just 15 minutes’ walk from Edinburgh’s Old Town.
If you are interested in staying at Black Ivy’s boutique hotel in Edinburgh, please don’t hesitate to get in touch to find out more information.
You can call our reception directly on: 0131 564 1901, or book your room online through our website.
We’ll leave you with one of our favourite Edinburgh quotes from Alexander McCall Smith, a famous Edinburgh-based author who once described Edinburgh as, “A city so beautiful it breaks the heart again and again.”.
We look forward to welcoming you to Edinburgh soon!